I like feeling good about how I look, but I don’t like putting a lot of time and effort into it. I also don’t like putting a lot of money into it, not that I could even if I did. So, my makeup routine is super simple and drugstore cheap. I also like to switch things up a bit as the seasons change and since I just switched to my summer makeup I thought I’d share.
- Neutrogena eye concealer and mineral powder. I wear concealer around my eyes. It helps with the dark under eye circles and with my eye makeup staying put. If I have a blemish that I want to cover, I use this same concealer for that as well. Usually, though, the mineral powder is enough. I have the occasional blemish so I use some skin clearing products, and the mineral powder by Neutrogena is just that. I’ve used both of these products for years now and still love them. (and I’m quick to try something new if I don’t like what I’m using)
- Next, I do my eyebrows. Thanks to too much plucking in high school, and my mom’s genes, my eyebrows are very thin. To help, I simply use CoverGirl eyeshadow in Brown Smolder and apply it with an angled brush. Yes, I know there are lots of eyebrow products out there, but this has worked for me well for years and if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I watched this tutorial to help me better fill in my eyebrows. Also, I sometimes spray a little bit of hairspray on my finger and gently wipe it onto my eyebrows to “set” them. It really is amazing the difference eyebrows make. I call it putting on my face, because the framing that eyebrows create has a big impact on the face as a whole. Even if I’m not wearing makeup, I usually still do my eyebrows.
- My eye shadow is basic. I use a light vanilla or ivory color on my eye lid with a shadow (not shadow as in eye shadow, but shadow as in creating a shadow on my face) color in the crease. That’s as fancy as I get. For summer I changed the shadow to a peachy color, for fall/winter I use gray. The CoverGirl selection at Walgreens was not good at all, so I ended up buying Maybelline and got Linen for my eye lid and Nude Glow for the crease. I apply the Linen with the applicator that comes with the eye shadow, but I apply the Nude Glow with an eye shadow brush (pictured). The sponge applicator isn’t able to create the soft look I desire. I encourage you to invest in some makeup brushes because they do make a difference, and since you can and should clean them, they last for a long time.
- For the past few years I have only been wearing eye liner on the top. Lining my whole eye has felt too heavy. For really fancy things, like my sister’s wedding, I line my whole eye, but those things are rare in my life. I use CoverGirl ink it! in charcoal ink. It is a self-sharpening pencil liner that looks and acts like a gel liner. I love it.
- My skin is fair with pink undertones. I can get an ok tan, but am always at risk of burning. I have finally come to term with this and have started working with my skin tone instead of against it. Hence, a subtle pink tone for my blush. I used a bronzer for years and just ended up looking dirty. The blush pictured is new and it is CoverGirl Classic Color in Blush. I use a large blush brush to apply it to my cheeks.
- Finally, I do mascara. I use L’Oreal Voluminous mascara in black. I always do two coats unless I’m wearing my glasses, in which case I only do one because my lashes will hit my glasses if I do two.
- I forgot my favorite thing of all and that is colored lip balm for Burt’s Bees. I have like six different ones, including just regular lip balm. This is the only thing I wear on my lips.
Here’s my eye makeup:
Here’s the whole look:
Simple – I can do all this in five minutes – and cheap – it all came from the drugstore.
So, what’s your makeup routine? Is it simple and cheap like mine? Any tricks you’ve learned that others need to know?